The “good news” of the gospel is set against the bad news of personal sin. From the apostle Paul’s letter to the church at Rome, we discover five important truths from God about our own brokenness and the hope only He can offer.
(1) God wants you to know that you are a sinner in need of a Savior, and for this reason.
“As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.” (Rom. 3:10,11)
“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” (Rom. 3:23)
(2) God wants you to know that the result of personal sin is death.
“For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Rom. 6:23)
(3) God wants you to know that He loves sinners and that Christ died for all who will believe in Him as personal Savior.
“But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” (Rom. 5:8)
(4) God wants you to know that the way of salvation is by confession of faith in Jesus as the LORD, and belief in His bodily resurrection.
“That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” (Rom. 10:9,10)
(5) God wants you to know that if you call upon the name of the LORD you will be saved.
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” (Rom. 10:13)